Somehow, a month of 2013 is already finished. I’ve had a number of firsts (NHL game, San Francisco karaoke bar, and more). And in the running part of my life, I’ve also had some firsts:
- Finally explored Pleasanton Ridge, which is near my house and has miles of trails including the one above.
- Bought new trail shoes (technically, I did that on Dec. 30, but close enough) that do not cause any blisters, upset toenails or painful feet. This is a significant miracle.
- Went on a 20-mile trail run, my longest one on trails yet. I did that with some of my awesome buddies from my old running club.
- Ran trails in Point Reyes in 28-degree temperatures with friend Scott, who did not push me off a cliff into the Pacific Ocean.
- Ran three miles to the gym, worked out, then ran three miles home. The day before a trail run. Twice this month.
- Ran 30 or more miles a week every week of the month for the first time ever.
- Saw a mountain biking unicyclist. Twice.
- Ran 12 miles on a Thursday night without water, which was the longest I’d ever run on a work night and the longest I’d ever run without water.
- Ran 65 miles on trails, which I believe is the most trail miles I’ve ever done in one month.
- Ran 11.11 miles this morning (Thursday), which was my longest-ever pre-work run.
- ANNNND, I ran 141.7 miles in January, which beat my previous highest month by 7.4 miles.
If this is any indication of what the next month will bring, I’m in for a lot of adventures. I’m crossing my fingers, because I always seem to hurt myself whenever things are going well, but I’m doing more maintenance now than I used to — gym, core, foam rolling, etc. So, what will February bring? Perhaps more of this kind of view: